Terrorism is a violent crime that every country has to confront today. Terrorist bombing can happen from the USA to Russia, and from Norway to Australia. The problem is happening all over the world. There are not short of guides on how to identify a terrorist or terrorist activities that you can find on the internet or in the real world. The most interesting terrorist indicators of all that you should look out for is to be found in Malaysia.
In Malaysia, these are the traits that you will see if you want to know who is a terrorist:
- A mother, especially aged 60 and have 3 children
- Malaysia has Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA) which is essentially a law to deal with terrorism in the country
- When SOSMA was first used, Maria Chin Abdullah, aged 60, was arrested as a terrorist without trial on November 18, 2016. She has 3 lovely peace loving children.
- You can read more about the personal traits of Maria Chin Abdulah here.
- A female deeply involved in women’s rights organisations
- If you have a strong sense of justice and fairness, you would be more likely to be arrested as a terrorist in Malaysia.
- You do not have to be political or violent to be a terrorist. You only need to be vocal with your wish to have a more just and democratic country to be a terrorist in Malaysia.
- A person who does not know how to handle any gun or weapon, or know anything about firearms at all
- Skills in operating explosive or firearms are deemed important in the recruitment of terrorists, but you do not have to know how to even use a knife to be deemed a terrorist in Malaysia.
- I supposed the ability to operate a kitchen knife as a mother was sufficient to be categorized as a terrorist in Malaysia.
- Openly publish your work and operate from one fixed location
- While terrorists are known to work in secrecy and operate from several non-fixed locations to avoid detection, you must openly publish your work and engage with the public to be a terrorist in Malaysia.
- You must also have a one fixed location that is registered with the authority and make the address easily accessible to the public as well as have it freely available on the internet.
- Having your office address openly stated on your official webpage and Facebook account definitely help to qualify you as a terrorist.
- Raise fund openly by having a press conference
- Terrorists typically raise money quietly and move money in secrecy. However, Maria organised a press conference on behalf of Bersih (Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections) to raise funds to organize activities which are to demand for clean and fair election. Bersih even posted on their webpage the details of account and purpose of fund raising. For Malaysian authorities, it seemed these were critical characteristics of a terrorist group.
- You must be a victim who has received a bullet and death threat, preferably for 3 times
- Maria has been a victim of violent behavior. She has received a bullet and death threat recently. She received 2 separate death threats prior to that.
- Arguably, a victim of death threat and preferably with an attached bullet would escalate that person to be a terrorist. You must be a victim of violent crime and not a perpetrator of violent crime to be a terrorist in Malaysia
There you go. The 6 traits of a terrorist in Malaysia. Every country in the world has to, in one way or another, deal with terrorism. Despite the resources poured into counter-terrorism measures, terrorism is still causing loss of life, injury and damage to property today.
The conventional ways of identifying a terrorist may not have been effective in ascertaining the ultimate mastermind. Malaysia have some unorthodox but exemplary methods that the world has not seen before. The world should look to Malaysia for advice and learn how to identify a terrorist. Let Malaysia shows the way in the fight against terrorism to bring about a more peaceful world.
Maria was subsequently released on November 28, 2016, 10 days after her detention without a trial. She was kept in a small windowless room which only had a wooden bed, with no mattress throughout the 10 days of detention.